More and more students are taking advantage of the benefits provided by online learning. Numerous online nursing programs are offered by reputable colleges and universities in New York.
Advances in technology have paved the way for online learning as a viable and valid approach in education. The field of nursing is one of the most sought after in the health care industry and remains as one of the fastest growing careers in the country. An increasing number of schools offer online nursing programs; likewise, more and more aspiring nurses are opting for this method of learning due to its benefits, such as flexibility and affordability.
There are several universities and colleges in New York that offer online nursing courses.
Online Nursing in New York
- Maria College (Albany, NY): Maria College offers day, evening, weekend and online classes. Maria College offers online/hybrid nursing courses as part of its mission to deliver high quality education in convenient scheduling formats. Most of the time, students are allowed to complete coursework at locations and times that are convenient to them; however, there are still some courses that require on-campus meetings for labs and/or exams. Furthermore, most online courses must still be completed within the timeline of a regular semester.
Students use the Blackboard Learn Management System in order to access online course materials, learn course content, submit homework assignments, and communicate with their instructors and peers. Online course materials include online textbooks, videos, presentations, websites and specialized software.
- D’Youville College (Buffalo, NY): D’Youville College has a reputation for individualized instruction focusing on the needs of its students. The college has been able to capture this same student-centric mission in its online RN program. Instructors take a direct interest in students as individuals albeit in an online environment. Students are exposed to dedicated and committed faculty members, known experts in their respective fields, whether they are taking up general education or nursing courses.
Beginning in the students’ sophomore year, they will embark on clinical experiences at the college’s clinical partners which include Buffalo General Hospital, Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Erie County Medical Center, Kenmore Mercy Hospital, Sisters of Charity Hospital, Mercy Hospital of Buffalo and Buffalo Psychiatric Center, among others.
- University of Rochester School of Nursing (Rochester, NY): The University of Rochester School of Nursing offers nursing degrees in a wide variety of learning formats, including online and hybrid setups. The University of Rochester School of Nursing also offers fast track nursing programs which are also possible electives for the RN to BSN program.
All online students are required to have personal computers with minimum attributes including Windows 7 or MacOS X operating systems; 8GB of free disk space; cable or DSL high speed internet connection; and such software as Adobe Acrobat Reader; Apple QuickTime 7; Audacity; Real Networks RealPlayer; Microsoft Media Player; Shockwave, Flash and Author ware Players; Microsoft Word Viewer; Microsoft Excel Viewer; and, Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer.
Other Online Nursing Programs in NY
- Capella University Online
- Colorado Technical University
- Grand Canyon University
- Kaplan University
- Keiser University
- University of Phoenix
- Drexel University Online
- Liberty University Online
- Pace University
- SUNY College of Nursing